Our Structure of Values and Policies
- *The Taisei Group Philosophy, the Taisei Spirit and the Action Guidelines for Taisei Personnel and the Taisei Group as a Whole can be summed up in this slogan.
Taisei Group Philosophy
To create a vibrant environment for all members of society.
Objectives to be Pursued by the Taisei Group(Goals)
To create a vibrant environment for all members of society.
We seek in an environmentally sustainable manner to create safe and attractive spaces with exceptional value and to create a global community filled with hopes and dreams for the benefit of future generations.
Active and Transparent Culture / Value Creation / Evolution of Tradition
Key Concepts That All Taisei Group Officers and Employees Must Adhere to in Order to Pursue and Realize the Taisei Group Philosophy
Active and Transparent Culture
We value diversity and, through open and active communication lines and networks both internal and external to the Taisei Group, seek to cultivate a transparent and active corporate culture in which all of our officers and employees are able to reach their full potential.
Not limited to our understanding of society at large, we carefully take into account the needs of our clients and using all of the technology and know-how at our disposal, together with our passion for innovation and ingenuity, seek to construct innovative and valuable engineering projects that inspire and impress our clients.
Evolution of Tradition
We aim to instill within the Taisei Group the Japanese tradition of monozukuri (precise, superb craftsmanship) and continually challenge ourselves to provide ever more valuable contributions to society and ensure our continued development and growth as a respected corporate group.
As a close-knit team made up of dedicated corporate professionals, we engage in our corporate activities with passion, enthusiasm and sincerity.
Overall Principles of Conduct
In order to pursue and realize the Taisei Group Philosophy "To create a vibrant environment for all members of society" and the Taisei Spirit, the Taisei Group has established the following basic principles of corporate conduct and standards of judgment and action that must be actively implemented and consistently observed by all of our officers and employees (i.e., personnel engaged in the Taisei Group' s business, including directors, corporate auditors, executive officers, employees, and temporary employees; hereinafter referred to as "Taisei Personnel").
Action Guidelines for Taisei Personnel and the Taisei Group as a Whole
Chapter 1 Active and Transparent Culture
Cultivating an open corporate culture
- Taisei Personnel shall exchange opinions freely and endeavor to create a vibrant, open workplace.
Securing a pleasant working environment
- The Taisei Group and Taisei Personnel shall maintain a safe and hygienic working environment, and strive to prevent occupational accidents. For construction work in particular, the Taisei Group and Taisei Personnel shall comply with the relevant laws, regulations, company standards and safety plans; ensure the safety of those engaged in construction work; and employ measures such as disaster prevention for third parties in order to ensure that the Group conducts its business with the safety of local communities as its top priority.
- The Taisei Group shall promote the employment of diverse work conditions, and endeavor to realize an appropriate work-life balance (harmony between work and life) for Taisei Personnel by improving productivity.
- Taisei Personnel shall endeavor to maintain their mental and physical health, and superiors shall monitor the mental and physical health of their subordinates.
Respect for fundamental human rights and diversity
- The Taisei Group and Taisei Personnel shall respect the fundamental human rights of individuals and value their diversity. The Taisei Group and Taisei Personnel shall not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, nationality, social status, or physical characteristics, nor shall they commit any action in violation of human rights, such as sexual harassment or abuse of authority.
Chapter 2 Value Creation
Creating a vibrant environment for all members of society
- The Taisei Group and Taisei Personnel shall create a vibrant environment for all members of society by creating safe and attractive spaces as well as work and living environments of exceptional value with the aim of providing products and services of the highest quality.
Striving to create value
- The Taisei Group and Taisei Personnel shall deploy all the technology and know-how at their disposal, and shall continue to strive to create new value through technological innovation and ingenuity.
- Looking ahead to the future, Taisei Personnel shall strive to further improve their knowledge and abilities.
Pursuing customer satisfaction
- Once they have fully understood a customer's situation, the Taisei Group and Taisei Personnel shall endeavor to meet expectations and build trust by providing construction products and services that are best suited to the customer's needs and budget.
Ensuring and improving safety and quality
- The Taisei Group and Taisei Personnel shall ensure the safety and quality of their construction products and services, while always striving to further improve them.
- In order to improve the safety and quality of the construction products and services they provide, The Taisei Group and Taisei Personnel shall endeavor to further improve their quality control system, develop ever more advanced technologies, and accumulate even more expertise.
Chapter 3 Evolution of Tradition
Respect for traditions
- The Taisei Group and Taisei Personnel shall faithfully pass on traditions, such as monozukuri (precise Japanese craftsmanship), that were developed by their predecessors, and strive to live up to the trust in the Group they built up. The Taisei Group and Taisei Personnel shall place great value on their predecessors' entrepreneurial spirit of viewing crises as opportunities.
Promoting partnerships with subcontractors and suppliers
- The Taisei Group and Taisei Personnel shall establish fair and reliable relationships with subcontractors and suppliers by clarifying the roles and responsibilities of all the parties involved.
- The Taisei Group and Taisei Personnel shall engage in business transactions with subcontractors and suppliers on an equal footing, and shall not abuse the relevant group company's dominant bargaining position.
- The Taisei Group and Taisei Personnel shall select subcontractors and suppliers in a systematic manner by conducting a comprehensive evaluation of their pricing, technological capabilities, financial strength, social credibility, and the degree of consideration they give to environmental matters.
- Before engaging in business with subcontractors and suppliers, The Taisei Group and Taisei Personnel shall first obtain a written agreement regarding the roles and responsibilities of all the parties involved.
- The Taisei Group and Taisei Personnel shall not demand or accept any entertainment or gifts (including cash), etc., from subcontractors or suppliers, regardless of the reason or manner in which they are offered.
Promoting environmental conservation and creation
- The Taisei Group and Taisei Personnel shall recognize the importance of environmental issues and actively work to promote environmental conservation and creation with a view to realizing a harmonious coexistence between nature and human beings.
- The Taisei Group and Taisei Personnel shall endeavor to reduce the environmental burden through the implementation of energy-saving measures and the "3R" policy (reduce, reuse and recycle), and promote technologies and ideas that will facilitate the creation of new environments.
Communication with local communities
- The Taisei Group and Taisei Personnel shall establish amicable relationships with local communities, work to communicate and cooperate with society in keeping with the group's role as a good corporate citizen, and strive to contribute to social development.
- In executing their duties, The Taisei Group and Taisei Personnel shall endeavor to prevent the generation of environmental effects such as noise, vibration, and odor, and to protect the living environment of local residents and neighboring areas.
Conduct in the international community
- The Taisei Group and Taisei Personnel shall comply with international rules and regulations, abide by the laws and ordinances of each country and region, respect the culture and customs of the individual country and region, and contribute to regional development through their corporate activities.
- The Taisei Group and Taisei Personnel shall make appropriate judgments and take suitable actions based on a global viewpoint and a full understanding of the conditions of the individual country and region.
Appropriate disclosure of information
- The Taisei Group and Taisei Personnel shall communicate widely with the public, and disclose accurate corporate information in a timely and appropriate manner. In preparing financial and other statements, The Taisei Group and Taisei Personnel shall ensure the credibility of their financial reports by complying with company rules and regulations, including accounting standards.
Fulfilling social responsibilities
Mutual prosperity with society
- The Taisei Group shall fulfill an extensive range of corporate social responsibilities, secure appropriate profits, contribute to sustainable social growth, and strive to establish the Taisei Group as a corporate group that will stand the test of time.
- When pursuing their business activities, The Taisei Group and Taisei Personnel shall make certain that their words and actions are of value to the Taisei Group's customers, companies, shareholders, subcontractors, suppliers, and society as a whole.
Compliance with laws and ordinances
General rules and regulations
- The Taisei Group and Taisei Personnel shall comply with applicable laws and regulations (i.e., laws, regulations, ordinances, administrative guidance, customs, and other social rules, as well as internal rules and regulations such as company rules), and conduct themselves according to social norms.
- The Taisei Group and Taisei Personnel shall faithfully perform all concluded contracts, and keep promises made to customers, subcontractors, suppliers and local communities.
Ensuring fair trade
- The Taisei Group and Taisei Personnel shall act in the spirit of fair, transparent and free competition.
- In bidding on public and private contracts, The Taisei Group and Taisei Personnel shall not engage in activities that would or may impair the fairness and impartiality of the bidding, such as any activities violating the Criminal Code or the Act Concerning Prohibition of Private Monopolization and Maintenance of Fair Trade.
- The Taisei Group and Taisei Personnel shall not give or promise to give unlawful money or articles, nor shall they provide gifts or entertainment in excess of commonly accepted social norms and practices, to any customers (including business counterparts of the relevant group company that are affiliated to its customers) or to any officers or employees of the relevant group company's customers.
Maintenance of proper relationships with individuals or entities engaged in politics and government
- The Taisei Group and Taisei Personnel shall maintain proper and fair relationships with individuals or entities engaged in politics and government.
- In their dealings with politicians and government officials (including foreign government officials), The Taisei Group and Taisei Personnel shall not engage in activities that would violate criminal laws, such as bribery, or activities that may be misunderstood as such.
Prohibition of acts that constitute a conflict of interest
- Taisei Personnel shall not engage in any acts that would constitute a conflict of interest with their group company, such as becoming an officer or employee of a competitor without the consent of their group company, engaging in business in competition with their group company's business, or abusing their position in their group company to gain personal benefits from a third party.
- Taisei Personnel shall not use or divert their group company's assets for any personal, unlawful or improper purposes.
- Taisei Personnel shall not engage in any acts that may damage their group company's reputation or result in a loss of trust in their group company.
Dealing with people, associations or organizations engaged in anti-social behavior
- The Taisei Group and Taisei Personnel shall stand firm against people, associations or organizations engaged in anti-social behavior, and reject any improper demands made of them.
Compliance with import- and export-related laws and ordinances
- The Taisei Group and Taisei Personnel shall not act contrary to the applicable import- and export-related laws and regulations, such as the Foreign Exchange and Foreign Trade Act.
Management of information and intellectual property rights
- Taisei Personnel shall handle with due care their group company's confidential information and trade secrets, and protect such information from leakage, falsification, loss, damage and abuse.
- Taisei Personnel shall endeavor to protect intellectual property rights (patents, copyrights, know-how rights, etc.) owned by their group company.
- The Taisei Group and Taisei Personnel shall not unlawfully obtain or use the confidential information of third parties.
- When they obtain or use the intellectual property rights of a third party, the Taisei Group and Taisei Personnel shall comply with the terms and conditions of the relevant assignment or license agreements therefor.
- Taisei Personnel shall not use or divulge any information on individuals in or outside of the relevant group company that they have become aware of in the course of their business activities for any purpose other than their group company's business.
- Taisei Personnel shall not engage in insider trading; that is, the trading of stocks or other securities based on non-public information about their group company.
Rules on Enforcement of the Compliance System for the Action Guidelines for Taisei Personnel and the Taisei Group as a Whole
- These Rules stipulate matters concerning improvements to compliance and related systems in order to ensure compliance with the Action Guidelines for Taisei Personnel and the Taisei Group as a Whole (hereinafter referred to as the "Action Guidelines").
- The Company has established the Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Committee (hereinafter referred to as the "CSR Committee") within the Board of Directors to act as a corporate organ which shall deliberate on amendments to, discuss basic measures for raising awareness of, and monitor compliance with the Action Guidelines.
(Raising Awareness of the Action Guidelines)
- 1The CSR Promotion Section shall promote training, guidance, and other activities necessary for raising awareness of the Action Guidelines.
- 2Executives and managers shall be responsible for providing appropriate training, advice, and guidance to employees under their management in order to ensure that the latter comply with the Action Guidelines.
(Auditing and Reporting)
- The General Manager of the Auditing Department shall periodically audit the state of compliance with the Action Guidelines and report the results of the audit to the CSR Committee.
(Corporate Ethics Helpline System)
- 1If officers and employees (hereinafter referred to as "Taisei Personnel") become aware or have reason to believe that they themselves or any other member of Taisei Personnel is in violation of the Action Guidelines (hereinafter referred to as "Violations"), they may report that fact to the desk established to receive such reports (hereinafter referred to as the "Report Desk"). The Report Desk shall be established pursuant to the separately provided regulations on the operation of a system in which the Company accepts both internal and external reports and requests for consultation concerning Violations by Taisei Personnel (such system being hereinafter referred to as the "Corporate Ethics Helpline System" and such bylaws being hereinafter referred to as "Operational Regulations").
- 2Taisei Personnel may consult the Report Desk if they are in doubt as to whether their own conduct or that of any other member of Taisei Personnel is in violation of the Action Guidelines.
- 3The Company shall respond appropriately to any report as referred to in Paragraph 1 or any request for consultation as referred to in the preceding paragraph (hereinafter referred to as a "Report or Consultation Request") in accordance with the Operational Bylaws.
- 4If the Company receives a Report or Consultation Request, it shall keep in confidence the name of the person who has made the Report or Consultation Request, and shall not treat such person in a disadvantageous manner as a result of his or her having made such Report or Consultation Request.
(Obligation to Report Conduct Which Materially Breaches the Law)
- 1If Taisei Personnel become aware or have reason to believe that they themselves or any other member of Taisei Personnel has committed or may possibly commit an illegal act that may result in substantial damage to the Company (such as a debarment to tendering or suspension of Taisei's business), they shall report that fact to the Report Desk in the manner stipulated in Paragraph 1 of the preceding Article.
- 2The Company shall appropriately handle reports set forth in the preceding paragraph pursuant to the Operational Bylaws.
(Handling of Violations)
- Should a member of Taisei Personnel commit an act that violates the Action Guidelines, the Company shall take disciplinary measures in accordance with the Company's rules, after strict and careful investigation of the relevant facts by the Board of Directors or the Executive Personnel Committee.
(Amendment and Revocation of Rules)
- Any amendment to or revocation of these Rules shall be made by a resolution of the Board of Directors.
- 1These regulations will be implemented from July 1, 2010.
Overall Management Perspective
We have formulated a Mid-term Business Plan as a concrete implementation plan for our business activities.
A Mid-term Business Plan has been established as a concrete action plan for business activities.
Please see [Mid-term Business Plan] under [Shareholder/Investor Information].